We were able to get into our hotel early enough to be able to get a nap in before we headed to our first Yankees game. It just happened to be that we had tickets to the first home game the Yankees played since George Steinbrenner (the Yankees owner) and Bob Shepard who was the announcer for the Yankees for over 50 years passed away. The atmosphere was really different then the other games we had been to. The did a memorial ceremony before the game started and Derek Jeter gave a really nice speech then in honor of Bob Shepard they didn't announce any of the players the whole game, it was completely silent from the announcers booth. It was actually really cool to be there for it. Both of the games we went to, the Yankees one which was nice.
I have to say that the Yankees do have some of the cutest ball players in the league. I took lots of close up pictures but here's one of A-Rod.
On Saturday we slept in, actually we slept in every day, but once we woke up we walked out of our hotel and into a street fair. The whole street along our hotel was blocked off for a summer street festival. It was pretty awesome, there was all kinds of booths with foods, jewelry, clothes, and crafts. Later that day we went and hung out in little Italy and went to an awesome Italian restaurant and I had my first gelato. That night we didn't have any plans and I looked up who was going to be at Caroline's on Broadway which is a pretty famous comedy club. I saw it was D.L. Hughley who used to be on a show called the Hughleys and has been on a bunch of over stuff. I called and they still had tickets available so we went and laughed so hard. It was so much more fun than we had anticipated.
Another funny thing was at the comedy club there is a two drink minimum during the show. At the end of the show the waiter brings out your bill that has the tickets for the show which was about $40 each, then our two drinks each that were around $12. Well when they give you the bill its really dark so you can't tell that they already added 18% gratuity. Ryan got the receipt back and wrote in a tip then once we got out he looked at it and saw it was already added! Our waiter was good but not good enough for over 30% tip. We also went and saw Phantom of the Opera. I chose it cause it was one of the longest running shows on Broadway so I thought it had to be good. Ryan and I were both bored out of our minds! The music and actors were good it's just that it wasn't something that really drew us in and compared to Jersey Boys that we saw last year it just couldn't compare. Oh well, live and learn.
We also took a tour of the new Yankees stadium, which was pretty cool. They have a museum in the stadium that has a lot of really cool memorabilia. They have a locker from the old stadium and a locker from the new stadium, it was crazy to see how much has changed.
They are also trying to collect signed baseballs from every player that has ever played for the Yankees, even if it was for only one game. I thought that was pretty cool.
We also got to go into the dugout.
While we were having fun in New York, Amira was having a blast with all of her grandparents. Amira also was able to attend my family reunion which I was kind of jealous about since I wasn't able to go last year or the year before. She had a great time walking all around at the camp ground picking up sticks and swimming at Pineview Dam. We missed her like crazy and were very glad to come home to see her big blue eyes.


0 comments:
Post a Comment