14 years ago
Monday, February 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Finally I have time to post some pictures of our weekend trip to Washington D.C., Ryan was in California, Maryland for work and with D.C. being only 70 miles away, we had to take advantage of seeing all of the sites.
Here is Ryan in front of the White House. I must say that I was disappointed in the size of the White House. I think I've seen bigger houses in North Ogden than this one!
This is a better look at it without the gates. I also thought that there would be a lot more security surrounding the White House, but I guess they might be all undercover.
This is the Washington Monument and it was HUGE. If you look at the bottom of the picture you can see the 50 flags that circle the monument. If you figure each flag pole is about 30 feet high, that gives you an idea how tall this monument really is.
This is the World War II memorial. It was really neat to see this since Ryan's grandpa served in WWII.
This is the Korean War Memorial. I thought the statues of the soldiers were so detailed it was kind of scary. This isn't somewhere that you want to be walking around at night.
The Lincoln Memorial was really cool. The statue of him is obviously huge and his famous speech was inscribe on the walls in the building. Also the ceiling of the building had kind of a stained glass look it was really neat looking.
This is the view from the top steps of the Lincoln Memorial. It's amazing to think about all of the people and events that have taken place not only by the reflection pool but in the entire city.
This is of course the Vietnam War Memorial, again I thought it was going to be a lot taller and longer. It was kind of sad to see some of the letters and flowers that were laid against the wall. All of the monuments just made me feel really grateful for everyone that has served for our country.
Our first museum stop was at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum. It was incredible! I loved seeing all of the dinosaurs, which most of them were found right near us in Wyoming. It's so crazy to think these guys were just roaming around at one point.
This is the center of the Natural History Museum. This whole museum was just like we were inside the movie Night at the Museum.
Our next Smithsonian stop was at the Aerospace museum. It's incredible how many planes and space shuttles they fit inside one building.
The American History Museum was closed for remodel so some of the items were being shown in the Aerospace museum. This is President Lincoln's hat that he was wearing when he was assassinated. We also saw George Washington's suit, Dorothy's Red Slippers, Mohammad Ali's boxing gloves, and Mister Rogers Red Sweater.
This is the Ford Theatre where President Lincoln was shot. After he was shot they carried him off to a house across the street where he later died. The United States ended up buying the house and it's now open to the public. We were able to tour the house and see where his wife waited and then bed that he actually died in. It was a bit creepy.
As we were walking around we noticed there was a ton of people on the street. Come to find out it was a parade celebrating Chinese New Year. There was lots of dancing dragons and really neat drums. Who knew that we were going to see a parade in D.C.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment